RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Authorities say a man fatally shot by police during a traffic stop in Virginia was wanted on an attempted-murder charge and for other crimes.
The department said in a statement Tuesday that 29-year-old Jaison Fitzgerald shot a relative of a female companion Monday prior to being pulled over by officers.
Police Chief Alfred Durham said at a news conference Monday that Fitzgerald was shot by an officer and died at a hospital. Investigators say a weapon was recovered at the scene, but offered no other details on the shooting. They say the officer was not wearing a body camera.
The officer is on customary administrative leave. Police say the officer is black, as was Fitzgerald.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Arizona ‘Dreamers’ could join DACA lawsuit against Trump
- Arizona Supreme Court rules same-sex spouses have equal parental rights
- Toys ‘R’ Us files for bankruptcy, but keeps stores open
- Car chase down Interstate 10 ends south of Phoenix, driver in custody
- Police say Gilbert man killed wife, attempted to cover it up