PHOENIX — Democrat U.S. Rep. Tom O’Halleran will have at least one primary challenger for his 2018 re-election bid with the announcement that Republican state Sen. Steve Smith will seek his party’s nomination for next year.
Smith announced Monday that he’s seeking the 1st Congressional District seat O’Halleran won in 2016.
A written statement noted Smith’s intent to focus on fighting for more jobs, prosperity and economic growth. He also announced he will serve the remainder of his term at the state Legislature next year.
Smith’s statement touted the endorsements of two current Arizona congressmen, U.S. Reps. Trent Franks and Andy Biggs.
The legislator has served the state’s 11th District in both the Arizona House of Representatives and the state Senate.
- Trump’s visit to force closures of some downtown Phoenix streets, businesses
- Vice President Mike Pence expected to join Trump at Phoenix rally
- Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey will not attend Trump’s Phoenix rally
- Democratic leader says Trump’s unpredictability causing US instability
- Ex-Maricopa County deputy gets prison for sex with inmate