MURRYSVILLE, Pa. (AP) — Police say a Pennsylvania man beat his 87-year-old mother and 64-year-old sister with a cane on Mother’s Day after they woke him up from a drunken slumber in his vehicle.
Fifty-eight-year-old Richard Ward was arraigned Monday on charges including aggravated assault and public drunkenness.
Murrysville police say he was parked outside his mother’s home when Linda Ward and her mother, Margaret, tried to wake him up around 9 p.m. Sunday.
Police say he woke up angrily and took a cane from his sister before knocking her down and beating her and their mother with it.
Witnesses say Ward refused to stop the beating until he was restrained by others until police arrived. Both women were treated at a hospital.
Ward remained jailed Monday. His attorney didn’t immediately respond to messages.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Mexican soldiers seize 140 pounds of fentanyl near Arizona border
- Pence says Confederate statues are state, local decision
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny
- Half of Arizonans in poll side against Trump pardoning Arpaio in Phoenix
- Nations search for 10 missing sailors after USS John S. McCain collision