Suspect in Chandler motel room fire dies in hospital from apparent self-inflicted wound
PHOENIX — A police situation in Chandler has drawn to a close after officers located a suspect who allegedly set his motel room on fire on Friday.
Sgt. Daniel Mejia, a spokesman with the Chandler Police Department, said officers found the suspect with an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
He was unresponsive and was transported to a nearby hospital. Police say he died on Saturday morning.
On Friday afternoon, Chandler police blocked off a street and freeway exit during their pursuit of the suspect.
Eastbound Interstate 10 at Chandler Boulevard was closed and Chandler Boulevard at 54th Street was also shut down.
Both are reopened.
Authorities said they responded to a call from the Super 8 motel near 54th Street and Chandler Boulevard around noon Friday. They saw a man running away and into a bread outlet business that was close by.
A SWAT team was able to evacuate the building where he was hiding and police were negotiating with the unidentified man.
No one was injured in the motel fire.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Ofo, dockless bike share system, kicks off operations in Mesa
- Arizona Super Show to be held at University of Phoenix Stadium
- Arizona DPS trooper injured in crash with impaired driver
- Rep. Andy Biggs: Florida shooting should not be ‘politicized’
- Arizona bill would fine residents for misrepresenting service animals