Share this story...
Latest News

Man who held cops at bay for 35 hours is charged with murder

A police officer operates a robot during a standoff with a man in a home in Trenton, N.J., on Wednesday, May 10, 2017. Police said they are trying to negotiate with the suspect after a fatal gunfire exchange with police. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — A man who held officers at bay for 35 hours in a standoff in New Jersey was charged Friday with killing a bystander.

Tyleeb Reese, 35, was charged with murder in the shooting death of Robert Powell Jr., 56, in Trenton, authorities said.

Agents with the U.S. Marshals Service were at Reese’s home to serve a warrant for failing to appear in court for a Megan’s Law offense, officials said. Reese had prior convictions for criminal sexual contact with a minor and failing to register as a sex offender.

Powell was caught in the crossfire after Reese began shooting at law enforcement Wednesday morning, said Mercer County Prosecutor Angelo Onofri. He said Powell was killed by a shot to the back and was also hit in an ankle and his hip.

Powell’s wife said they had been married for 30 years and their daughter is expecting her first child.

“I miss him so much,” said Antoinette Powell. “I just want him back.”

She said she walked past the standoff earlier, unaware that her husband had been injured there.

“He was already dead, and I didn’t know,” she said.

Reese surrendered Thursday. Mayor Eric Jackson credited Reese’s friends and family members for convincing him to surrender without violence. He was evaluated at a hospital before being taken to jail.

Three Mercer County sheriff’s officers suffered minor injuries in the shooting and were treated at a hospital. Reese also is charged with five attempted murder and weapons offenses.

It wasn’t immediately clear if Reese had an attorney to comment on his behalf.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Related Links