HELENA, Ga. (AP) — Corrections officials say an inmate has died after a fight with another inmate at a Georgia prison.
The Department of Corrections said in a news release Friday that 41-year-old Humberto Hernandez suffered serious injuries about 11 a.m. Wednesday in the fight at Telfair State Prison and died on the way to a hospital.
The agency says Hernandez’s body was taken to the state crime lab for an autopsy and that the cause of death was not immediately known. The fight is under investigation.
Hernandez was serving a life sentence after being convicted of murder.
Telfair State Prison is in Helena, about 160 miles (258 kilometers) southeast of Atlanta.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Trump tweet attacks Flake, calls Arizona senator ‘toxic’
- After preschool promise, Phoenix couple marries 20 years later
- Pence won’t address Trump comments but condemns supremacists
- Arizona high court rules domestic violence testimony needs scrutiny
- Brewer stands by Trump assessment of Mexican rapists, white power rally