HELENA, Ga. (AP) — Corrections officials say an inmate has died after a fight with another inmate at a Georgia prison.
The Department of Corrections said in a news release Friday that 41-year-old Humberto Hernandez suffered serious injuries about 11 a.m. Wednesday in the fight at Telfair State Prison and died on the way to a hospital.
The agency says Hernandez’s body was taken to the state crime lab for an autopsy and that the cause of death was not immediately known. The fight is under investigation.
Hernandez was serving a life sentence after being convicted of murder.
Telfair State Prison is in Helena, about 160 miles (258 kilometers) southeast of Atlanta.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Car jumps curb in Glendale, fatally strikes bicyclist
- Judge decides Arizona doesn’t have to reveal execution-drugs source
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95