INDIAN LAKE, N.Y. (AP) — New York state officials have closed a trail in the Adirondack Mountains until further notice because of safety concerns with the Wakely Mountain Fire Tower .
The 92-foot tower was closed to public access last December because of structural problems, and the tower’s condition has since worsened.
The Department of Environmental Conservation says there’s a chance the tower could collapse in heavy winds. DEC officials plan to make repairs as soon as possible to prevent a collapse.
Wakely Mountain is located just west of Indian Lake in one of the more remote sections of the central Adirondacks.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95