PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Olympic figure skater Michelle Kwan has filed papers in Rhode Island seeking divorce days after her husband, Clay Pell, filed for divorce in California.
The Providence Journal (http://bit.ly/2pjXNoH ) reports both listed irreconcilable differences in their divorce papers. Pell filed for divorce March 27, while Kwan filed March 30.
Kwan is a five-time world figure skating champion, winning Olympic medals in 1998 and 2002. Pell is a grandson of Rhode Island’s late Democratic U.S. Sen. Claiborne Pell, and he unsuccessfully ran for governor in 2014.
The two married in Providence in 2013.
Court records show Pell wants the Rhode Island filing to be dismissed so the divorce can be heard in California.
Kwan objects, saying she lived in Rhode Island for the past year.
Neither Kwan nor Pell returned phone calls seeking comment.
This story has been corrected to show that Kwan filed divorce papers days after Pell filed them, not one day after.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny
- Half of Arizonans in poll side against Trump pardoning Arpaio in Phoenix
- Nations search for 10 missing sailors after USS John S. McCain collision
- White House chief strategist Steve Bannon steps down
- Family: California man celebrating marriage killed in Spain