JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) — A SWAT sniper fatally shot a man during a standoff at a Florida apartment complex following a domestic dispute.
Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office spokesman Christian Hancock told reporters the man was given a ride away from the apartment to cool off Tuesday night, but hailed a cab to return.
Hancock says the man’s mother called 911, concerned for the cab driver’s safety because her son had a firearm. Officers went with the mother to the apartment and spoke to the man through a slightly opened door. As officers tried to force the door open, the man fired multiple shots. No one was injured.
Hancock says the sniper fatally shot the man when he opened a window and pointed a gun at officers.
The man’s name hasn’t been released. An investigation continues.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Bicyclist killed by car in Glendale, suspect is Navajo Nation police officer
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood