When Carter Wilkerson tweeted at Wendy’s early last month to ask them for free chicken nuggets, he probably wasn’t expecting to become the most retweeted tweet of all time.
As of Tuesday, his tweet had been retweeted 3,478,226 times. DeGeneres’ was sitting at 3,432,960 retweets.
It all started when Wilkerson, who lives in Reno, Nevada, asked the fast-food chain how many tweets he would need to get free chicken nuggets for a year.
The tweet took off. What started as a joke online soon caught the eye of numerous celebrities and companies.
Though he fell short, Wendy’s still awarded Wilkerson with a free year of chicken nuggets.
But Wilkerson is not the only one to benefit. Wendy’s donated $100,000 to the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption, a group that pairs foster children with homes.
Wilkerson is also raising money for the foundation by selling T-shirts online that feature the hashtag #NuggsForCarter
“I want to give back,” Wilkerson told Twitter. “I am so blessed to have an opportunity to use my voice to support something I believe in.
And really grateful to everyone who retweeted my post. They made this happen.”
- Former president Bill Clinton pokes fun at himself with ‘balloon’ tweet
- Wendy’s, nearby store wage war of words on storefront signs
- Gallego won’t give Trump credit for ‘acting like an adult’ after MOAB order
- Wendy’s locations in 13 Arizona cities victims of credit card hack
- Defense in Phoenix freeway-shootings case seeks testimony from Gov. Doug Ducey