ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) — The parents of two black brothers say in a lawsuit that Pennsylvania school officials didn’t shield the boys from racist taunts, including when another student draped a Confederate flag over one of the boys.
Kerry and Sheila McLean say their son was told to wear the flag “with pride,” according to the federal lawsuit they filed against the Saucon Valley School District.
In another instance, a 14-year-old white boy made a video with racist commentary of a black student eating chicken. The white teen was prosecuted for ethnic intimidation. One of the brothers was charged with simple assault for punching another student as a result of the video.
The school district’s solicitor declined to comment on the lawsuit, which seeks unspecified monetary damages.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny
- Half of Arizonans in poll side against Trump pardoning Arpaio in Phoenix
- Nations search for 10 missing sailors after USS John S. McCain collision
- White House chief strategist Steve Bannon steps down
- Family: California man celebrating marriage killed in Spain