DOVER, Del. (AP) — Authorities say a Delaware motorcycle police officer was injured in a crash while helping escort a procession to the funeral of a slain state trooper.
Dover police said in a statement Monday that the officer, an 11-year veteran of the force, was injured Friday as the procession traveled to Wilmington for the funeral of Cpl. Stephen Ballard.
As the procession merged onto state Route 1, police say the motorcycle officer passed to the left to get to the front, but another officer’s cruiser swerved into the same lane. The motorcycle hit the cruiser, and the officer was thrown from the motorcycle.
The officer was taken to a hospital with a broken leg, facial laceration and other injuries. The Dover Police Department’s Accident Reconstruction Unit is investigating the crash.
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95
- Arizona ‘Dreamers’ could join DACA lawsuit against Trump
- Arizona Supreme Court rules same-sex spouses have equal parental rights