SEDALIA, Colo. (AP) — A 37-year-old woman was killed by a lightning strike as she rode her horse on a trail.
The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office says the woman was riding along the trail along Rainbow Creek Road with a 15-year-old girl when lightning hit them at 3:24 p.m. Sunday. They were one their way to meet the woman’s mother.
The office says the woman was pronounced dead at the scene along with her horse. The girl was taken in serious condition to a nearby hospital.
The office did not release the names of the woman or the girl. It says both were residents or the neighborhood and experienced horseback riders.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Feds buy land to open up access to 2 Arizona forest areas
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood