BRAINTREE, Mass. (AP) — A police officer has been shot in the face at a Massachusetts motel, where the shooter is holed up in a room.
Police have officers and vehicles stationed around the grounds of the Motel 6 in Braintree, just south of Boston.
Police say officers were at the motel to check a person’s warrant status Friday night when the person opened fire, hitting one officer. They say the officer has been hospitalized for surgery and is in stable condition with non-life-threatening injuries.
Witnesses say they heard at least three gunshots, possibly up to seven or eight.
Many rooms at the motel have been evacuated. A nearby train station has been closed.
Police say they hope to contact and negotiate with the shooter.
A man who answered a phone at the motel wouldn’t talk and hung up.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Phoenix-area mayors ready to join forces to land Amazon headquarters
- Feds buy land to open up access to 2 Arizona forest areas
- Main Street Minute: Big-name companies set to attend Phoenix job fair
- Target is raising minimum hourly wage to $15 by end of 2020
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service