SARASOTA, Fla. (AP) — A man who abused and suffocated his 7-week-old son during a drug-induced rage in Florida has accepted a plea deal sending him to prison for 45 years.
The Herald-Tribune (http://bit.ly/2pwLjIA ) reports 38-year-old Joseph Walsh showed no remorse before he was led from the courtroom in Sarasota on Tuesday.
Walsh admitted to second-degree murder and aggravated child abuse. State Attorney Ed Brodsky says he stuffed a baby wipe down the throat of his infant, Chance Walsh. His body was found in a shallow grave a month later.
Grandmother Sally Susino said the family would have preferred a life sentence or the death penalty. But the only witness was the infant’s mother, Kristin Bury-Walsh, who died of an apparent suicide last September after agreeing to testify against Walsh.
Information from: Sarasota (Fla.) Herald-Tribune, http://www.heraldtribune.com
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny
- Half of Arizonans in poll side against Trump pardoning Arpaio in Phoenix
- Nations search for 10 missing sailors after USS John S. McCain collision
- White House chief strategist Steve Bannon steps down
- Family: California man celebrating marriage killed in Spain