BALTIMORE (AP) — Police in Maryland say two people have been sickened after opening a package that they received in the mail.
Frederick Police Lt. Clark Pennington says the two went to a hospital for treatment and brought the package with them, and the hospital was considered a hazmat scene.
Pennington says when the people opened the package about noon Tuesday, they began to feel burning and had difficulty breathing.
Pennington says they took the package to Frederick Memorial Hospital. Decontamination tents were set up outside the emergency room.
Hospital, spokeswoman Melissa Lambdin says by phone that operations were back to normal Tuesday afternoon, except for a small area of the emergency department. She says no hospital staff were hurt.
Pennington says preliminary tests indicate the substance was a household cleaning product.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Drawing nears for Powerball jackpot that’s climbed to $700M
- Mexican soldiers seize 140 pounds of fentanyl near Arizona border
- Pence says Confederate statues are state, local decision
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny
- Half of Arizonans in poll side against Trump pardoning Arpaio in Phoenix