MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The first of tens of thousands of lawsuits against Swiss agribusiness giant Syngenta for introducing a genetically engineered corn variety before China approved it for imports has been pushed back to July.
The test case had been due in Minnesota state court starting last week.
Attorney Lew Remele (REM’-uh-lee) says the court had already picked a jury April 26, when the judge restarted the process because some jurors claimed financial hardships. He says juror notification requirements and scheduling conflicts forced a delay until July 10.
The delay means the first case up will be in federal court in Kansas City, Kansas, June 5.
About 60,000 cases have been filed in Minnesota alone.
The lawsuits allege Syngenta wrecked China as an export market for U.S. corn. Syngenta denies it caused farmers any losses.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- West Wing update includes new paint, carpet and eagles
- Main Street Minute: Phoenix tech firm buys manufacturing company
- Trump supporter reportedly shouts death wish of Sen. John McCain
- Report: Pei Wei could move headquarters out of Arizona
- Main Street Minute: Amazing Jake’s to get makeover, name change