2 die, 2 seriously injured in Phoenix freeway accidents
PHOENIX — Two people died, including a good Samaritan, and two others were critically injured Monday morning in a pair of accidents on Interstate 17 in Phoenix.
A motorcyclist and someone trying to help died near Union Hills Drive. The woman was one of three good Samaritans hit by a car while they tried to reach the cyclist.
A spokesman for the Arizona Department of Public said another would-be rescuer was unharmed.
The wrecks shut down southbound lanes at Loop 101 and the loop’s eastbound and westbound ramps to I-17 were also closed.
The northbound lanes were reopened around 8:40 a.m. The southbound lanes reopened about 10:30 a.m.
The Phoenix Fire Department said it had treated four people at the scene.
The Arizona Department of Transportation reported that traffic was diverted onto Loop 101.
- NASA to test Orion spacecraft parachute system in Arizona
- Ottawa University to build $6M athletic center on its Surprise campus
- Main Street Minute: Phoenix data center operations sells for $1 billion
- Most drinking water sources in Arizona public schools have no lead
- Ballet Arizona’s ‘The Nutcracker’ considered among best in nation