NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) — Authorities in Virginia say police killed a man who took several people hostage inside a sports bar.
Newport News police said officers received a call Saturday about a violent person at the Pondo Cafe. Arriving officers heard a gunshot from inside the restaurant, and were able to communicate with the hostages, who said one of them had been shot.
A police statement says officers forced their way in and spotted the suspect raising a weapon and pointing it at police. A veteran officer then fatally shot the suspect, identified Monday as 35-year-old Caleb Jackson Jr.
Police say the hostage who was shot is hospitalized in stable condition.
The officer is on administrative leave. Police spokeswoman Jamie Bastas says the officer is white and Jackson was black.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- West Wing update includes new paint, carpet and eagles
- Trump supporter reportedly shouts death wish of Sen. John McCain
- Drawing nears for Powerball jackpot that’s climbed to $700M
- Mexican soldiers seize 140 pounds of fentanyl near Arizona border
- Pence says Confederate statues are state, local decision