Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. WHO GETS WHITE HOUSE INVITE
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte receives the offer from President Trump during a weekend phone conversation, says a spokesman for the Philippine leader — despite concerns over Duterte’s human rights record.
2. CONGRESSIONAL REPUBLICANS, DEMOCRATS REACH $1T BUDGET DEAL
To avoid a government shutdown, the House and Senate have until midnight Friday to give full approval to the $1 trillion-plus budget to fund virtually every federal agency through Oct. 1.
3. TORNADOES, FLOODS LEAVE 11 DEAD IN SOUTH, MIDWEST
In Texas, search teams are going door to door after the tornadoes flattened homes, uprooted trees and flipped vehicles.
4. TRUMP WARNS NKOREA MISSILES ARE IMPROVING
Despite Pyongyang’s latest failed missile test, the U.S. president says Kim Jong-Un will develop better technology, and “we can’t allow it to happen.”
5. WHERE STUDENTS FIND AN ALTERNATIVE TO 4-YEAR COLLEGES
Education startups offer low-cost or even free online courses, one- or two-year tracks and other perks — but not all offer degrees.
6. VENEZUELA LEADER HIKES WAGES AMID SPREADING PROTESTS
But the minimum take home pay for millions of Venezuelans still stands at about 200,000 bolivars a month — less than $50.
7. WHY TEXAS RESISTS SCHOOL VOUCHERS
In the Lone Star State, Republicans from rural districts are fearful of undermining public schools that are top employers, as well as the cultural lifeblood of communities.
8. FAMED SWISS MOUNTAINEER DIES NEAR EVEREST
Ueli Steck, best known for his speed climbing, was killed at Camp 1 of Mount Nuptse.
9. HORSEMAN RIDES ACROSS US TO DRAW ATTENTION TO AGENT ORANGE
Colt Romberger sets out on the journey in memory of his father Cliff, who served in Vietnam and died of a brain disease doctors attributed to exposure to the chemical defoliant.
10. ‘I’M ONLY GOING TO IMPROVE’
That’s what boxer Anthony Joshua says after defeating Wladimir Klitschko in heavyweight title fight unlike any seen in Britain.
- Main Street Minute: Barbecue spot to open in downtown Phoenix
- Theme park resort villages approved for development near Phoenix
- Main Street Minute: Glendale health care campus giving out eclipse glasses
- Trump ends business councils after slew of CEOs drop out
- Pressured by government, Uber agrees to protect rider data