NEW YORK (AP) — Police say a 3-year-old girl was killed and three adults were injured when a garbage truck hit another vehicle in a New York City neighborhood.
The crash happened at 10 a.m. Saturday in the Bronx.
Police say a driver in a Chevrolet Malibu swerved to avoid a pothole and was rear-ended by the garbage truck.
Three-year-old Sofia Aguirre was pronounced dead at Lincoln Hospital.
The Daily News reports (http://nydn.us/2pJJ6LA ) that the child was riding in the Chevrolet with her mother and grandparents. They were treated for minor injuries.
The truck driver remained at the scene and was not charged with a crime.
He was driving for Avid Waste Systems. The company did not return a phone call.
Commercial trash in New York City is picked up by private trash haulers, not the city’s sanitation department.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95