LOS ANGELES (AP) — Robin Coste Lewis is the new poet laureate of Los Angeles.
Mayor Eric Garcetti announced the two-year appointment Thursday, calling Lewis a fearless writer.
The post is intended to promote the city’s diverse poetry and literary culture.
Coste Lewis is the author of the collection “Voyage of the Sable Venus,” which won the National Book Award for poetry in 2015.
She will receive an annual grant of $10,000 from the Los Angeles Department of Cultural Affairs.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Drawing nears for Powerball jackpot that’s climbed to $700M
- Mexican soldiers seize 140 pounds of fentanyl near Arizona border
- Pence says Confederate statues are state, local decision
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny
- Half of Arizonans in poll side against Trump pardoning Arpaio in Phoenix