WINDSOR, N.C. (AP) — Authorities in North Carolina say a prison guard has died after she was attacked by an inmate.
Department of Public Safety spokeswoman Pamela Walker said in a news release the attack happened late Wednesday afternoon at the Bertie Correctional Institution in Windsor.
Walker said prison medial staff and first responders were unsuccessful in the attempt to save 29-year-old Sgt. Megan Lee Callahan of Edenton. She died about an hour after the attack.
An inmate who has been in the prison since 2004 on a life sentence for murder in Cumberland County is being investigated in the attack but no charges have been filed yet. The State Bureau of Investigation is handling the case.
Callahan had been with the department since 2012. She had been promoted to sergeant in February 2016.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny
- Half of Arizonans in poll side against Trump pardoning Arpaio in Phoenix
- Nations search for 10 missing sailors after USS John S. McCain collision
- White House chief strategist Steve Bannon steps down
- Family: California man celebrating marriage killed in Spain