NEW YORK (AP) — An escalator malfunctioned at New York’s World Trade Center Transportation Hub and officials say two men sustained minor injuries.
Port Authority spokesman Steve Coleman says several stair treads on the escalator buckled at about 7 a.m. Thursday at the transportation center, known as the Oculus (AHK’-yoo-luhs).
He says the men were able to walk to a waiting ambulance. They were taken to a hospital for evaluation.
Coleman says it is the same escalator that was involved in a fatal fall in February. He stressed that the earlier incident did not involve an escalator malfunction.
In the February accident, a New Jersey woman plunged about 30 feet to her death. Officials said she stretched over the railing too far and fell while trying to retrieve a dropped hat.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Main Street Minute: Amazing Jake’s to get makeover, name change
- Drawing nears for Powerball jackpot that’s climbed to $700M
- Mexican soldiers seize 140 pounds of fentanyl near Arizona border
- Pence says Confederate statues are state, local decision
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny