COMMERCE, Ga. (AP) — Authorities are searching for a gunman who they say shot and wounded a sheriff’s deputy in northeast Georgia.
The Georgia Bureau of Investigation says the suspect fired multiple times at deputies Wednesday, striking one officer whose ballistic vest stopped the bullet.
Authorities say the confrontation came after reports that a vehicle was stolen at the Atlanta Dragway, about 70 miles (113 kilometers) northeast of Atlanta.
Banks County sheriff’s officials say that when their deputies tried to stop the stolen vehicle, the suspect opened fire at them and then fled across Interstate 85.
The deputy was taken to a hospital for treatment. The sheriff described his injuries as not life-threatening.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Trump supporter reportedly shouts death wish for Sen. John McCain
- Drawing nears for Powerball jackpot that’s climbed to $700M
- Mexican soldiers seize 140 pounds of fentanyl near Arizona border
- Pence says Confederate statues are state, local decision
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny