CHICAGO (AP) — The Billboard chart-topping rapper Kevin Gates has been sentenced to 30 months in an Illinois prison after pleading guilty to a gun charge.
The 31-year-old Gates — whose legal name is Kevin Jerome Gilyard — of Baton Rouge, Louisiana, was sentenced after pleading guilty to being a felon in possession of a firearm.
According to court records, Cook County Circuit Court Judge Neil Linehan gave Gilyard credit for 34 days already spent in jail in the case.
The Chicago Tribune reported Wednesday (http://trib.in/2q7SchU) that Gates was arrested in Chicago and charged in October 2013. He avoided custody until March.
Gates came to prominence in 2013 and his studio album “Isiah” reached No. 2 on the Billboard Top 200 last year.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Bicyclist killed by car in Glendale, suspect is Navajo Nation police officer
- Arizona tourism office, Chicago Cubs team up to bring Chicagoans to Valley
- Judge decides Arizona doesn’t have to reveal execution-drugs source