PHOENIX — Saturday will mark the 100th day Donald Trump has been the president of the United States. There’s been dozens of executive orders, hundreds of tweets from the man himself, many visits with foreign leaders and plenty of controversial topics.
Fox News’ Meghan McCain, who’s also the daughter of Sen. John McCain, joined Mac & Gaydos on KTAR News 92.3 FM Wednesday to discuss how the first period of Trump’s presidency went.
“Everything about President Trump surprises me and has continued to surprise me,” McCain said. “Just the fact that he sent missiles into Syria and dropped a MOAB on a bunch of ISIS terrorists who were trying to kill Americans, to me, gives him a very high grade in the B’s. His problem right now is he doesn’t have any legislative wins. Obviously repeal and replace Obamacare was dead in the water, we don’t know what to expect from tax reform and he doesn’t really have any legislative wins.”
McCain later specified that she would say Trump deserved a B- so far for his efforts, continually naming his lack of legislative wins as the negatives so far.
But she’s all in on what Trump has been trying to do involving sanctuary cities.
Trump recently put out an executive order looking to strip funding for sanctuary cities, which a judge in turn blocked.
“I think President Trump should pull the funding for sanctuary cities,” McCain said. “I’m 100 percent, adamantly against sanctuary cities. I think it’s un-American and I think there are much more productive ways to talk about immigration.”
McCain isn’t a fan of the “arbitrary” look into how a president is doing after 100 days, but thinks if Trump can continue to push his foreign policy and create jobs, then he should have no problem in the midterm election or in 2020.
McCain said she didn’t give Trump a better grade than a B- because of his failure to get a legislative win so far, and by the lack in definition of roles (and business ties) involving Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner.
She also doesn’t think a big selling point for the Trump campaign is plausible.
“I totally think building the wall is a grand illusion that’s never actually going to happen if you’re talking about a literal, cement wall,” McCain said.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Celebrate National Burger Day with best bacon burger in Arizona
- Walmart announces 4,400 veteran hires in Arizona since 2013
- Mother Road Brewing Co. named most underrated brewery in Arizona by Thrillist
- Bashas’ announces finalists for doughnut flavor contest
- Fans wait hours in line to get into Phoenix Comicon amid heightened security