Chandler school receives threat on social media, student arrested
PHOENIX — Police in a Phoenix suburb said Wednesday morning they have arrested a suspect in an online threat made about an elementary school.
Chandler authorities said a 14-year-old boy was in custody after a post appeared on the social media app Snapchat that included references to a plan to to harm himself at Santan Elementary.
Classes were scheduled as normal but school district officials notified parents at the school and Santan Junior High by email that extra police would be stationed on campus for the day.
Santan Elementary is near Chandler Heights and Cooper roads.
KTAR’s Kathy Cline contributed to this report.
- Latinos in Arizona spent $42B on consumer goods in 2016, study finds
- Arizona tourism office, Chicago Cubs team up to bring Chicagoans to Valley
- Arizona-built spacecraft to slingshot around Earth on Friday
- Arizona ranked No. 10 most diverse state in nation, study finds
- Arizona lawmakers seek solution to sewage leak in two southern cities