Chandler school receives threat on social media, student arrested
PHOENIX — Police in a Phoenix suburb said Wednesday morning they have arrested a suspect in an online threat made about an elementary school.
Chandler authorities said a 14-year-old boy was in custody after a post appeared on the social media app Snapchat that included references to a plan to to harm himself at Santan Elementary.
Classes were scheduled as normal but school district officials notified parents at the school and Santan Junior High by email that extra police would be stationed on campus for the day.
Santan Elementary is near Chandler Heights and Cooper roads.
KTAR’s Kathy Cline contributed to this report.
- Arizona is home to the nation’s fifth-highest poverty rates
- Scottsdale named among best cities for renters, Glendale among worst
- Weekend wrap-up: Biggest Arizona-related stories from this past weekend
- Officials investigating three rabies cases in southern Arizona
- Why wasn’t Arizona chosen for Amazon’s second headquarters?