SAN DIEGO (AP) — The Latest on a campaign against Islamophobia in San Diego public schools (all times local):
A board member of San Diego public schools says bullying of Muslim students across the country is pervasive and underreported.
Kevin Beiser says the San Diego Unified School District’s effort to fight Islamophobia and promote understanding of Muslim culture is modeled on an earlier campaign he advanced to protect LGBT students.
The plan has drawn criticism in conservative media sites and on the internet but calls to protest at a school board meeting on Tuesday fizzled. No one in the audience spoke against the plan and there were no visible signs of opposition.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 2 Phoenix-area teens accused of making online threats against school
- Mexican soldiers seize 140 pounds of fentanyl near Arizona border
- Pence says Confederate statues are state, local decision
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny
- Half of Arizonans in poll side against Trump pardoning Arpaio in Phoenix