PHOENIX — Asking celebrities to the prom on social media is all the rage with teenagers these days, but it rarely works.
Unless, of course that teen is Jacob Strickland, that celebrity is MMA ring girl Mireika Edwards and the prom is hosted by Williams Field High School in Gilbert.
Edwards came to the Valley after Strickland followed through on a deal they made: 10,000 retweets and she would be his date to his senior prom.
After Strickland’s tweet was retweeted by the rapper Futuristic, he quickly hit the goal.
Edwards made the drive down from her Las Vegas home last weekend to meet Strickland.
Strickland — who rocked a white jacket with black pants — had his mom to thank for the look.
However, it appears the date was more of a stunt than anything else.
Edwards was in town this past weekend but, according Williams Field High School’s website, the prom will not be held until May 13.
Still, the pair now have a pretty cool story to tell and it seems Edwards enjoyed her time in the Valley.
Another Valley teen who asked a celebrity to the prom this year will have to find another date. Jacob Staudenmaier of Arcadia High School created a viral video to ask Emma Stone to the dance, but the Arizona-born actress had to turn him down as she is working.
- Gilbert woman born without uterus raising funds for surgery
- Phoenix Children’s, Dignity Health to open new facility in East Valley
- Main Street Minute: Phoenix’s Banner Health earns spots on top hospitals list
- Gilbert mayor won’t fund Milwaukee Brewers spring training stadium
- Opinion: Brewers hitting bottle, not ball, with possible move to Gilbert