HURLEY, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities say an 89-year-old man and his 62-year-old son visiting from Ohio have died in a fire at the father’s upstate New York home.
Officials tell the Daily Freeman of Kingston the fire was reported around 4:30 a.m. Sunday at Carl J. Mondello Jr.’s home in Hurley, 50 miles south of Albany.
The sheriff’s office says Mondello escaped along with his 60-year-old daughter, who also lived there. But he died later at a hospital.
Officials say his son, Richard J. Mondello, was found dead in the basement. The son was a former longtime New York Post employee visiting from Fostoria, Ohio. The Post reports he worked for the newspaper for 40 years before retiring in 2014 as an advertisement executive.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95
- Arizona ‘Dreamers’ could join DACA lawsuit against Trump
- Arizona Supreme Court rules same-sex spouses have equal parental rights