COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) — Firefighters are still dousing hot spots after a massive fire at a seven-story apartment building under construction near the University of Maryland.
News outlets report that firefighters are working Tuesday to keep the fire that consumed the roof of the College Park building the size of a city block from flaring up again.
Prince George’s County police arrested a 24-year-old man they say flew a drone near the blaze Monday. Trevon Miller is charged with interfering with police and fire response and reckless endangerment.
County fire officials estimate the loss at $39 million and say the cause is under investigation. More than 200 firefighters and medics were called to the scene Monday morning and it wasn’t considered under control until mid-afternoon.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Main Street Minute: Kneaders Bakery continues cookie sale for cancer fight
- Phoenix-area mayors ready to join forces to land Amazon headquarters
- Feds buy land to open up access to 2 Arizona forest areas
- Main Street Minute: Big-name companies set to attend Phoenix job fair
- Target is raising minimum hourly wage to $15 by end of 2020