PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A convicted bank robber paroled in 2011 is under arrest again, charged with carrying out a new string of holdups in the Philadelphia area as the man dubbed the “Straw Hat Bandit.”
The FBI arrested 57-year-old Richard Boyle on Thursday on charges he committed 11 bank robberies from 2012 through 2016. The first occurred less than a year after Boyle got out of prison.
The FBI says Boyle wore disguises during the stickups, including a straw hat and mask.
He’s accused of brandishing a handgun in nearly all the robberies, netting nearly a half-million dollars.
It was unclear whether he has a lawyer. A message left at his photography business wasn’t returned.
The Intelligencer newspaper in Doylestown reports Boyle was in prison on a parole violation when he was arrested.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Bicyclist killed by car in Glendale, suspect is Navajo Nation police officer
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood