PHOENIX — The Arizona House passed amended legislation Thursday that would allow electronic billboards in some areas of Mohave County where they are now banned to protect the state’s astronomy industry.
Senate Bill 1114 would allow areas of Mohave County within 40 miles of Bullhead City to become exempt from a 2012 Arizona law that limits electronic billboards to central and southwest parts of Arizona.
The law creates a corridor of dark skies to decrease light pollution.
The measure marks sponsor Republican Sen. Sonny Borrelli’s second attempt at adding parts of Mohave County to the areas where electronic billboards are allowed.
A similar bill by him failed to pass last year.
The House’s 35-18 vote sends the legislation back to the Senate for final approval before heading to Gov. Doug Ducey’s desk.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Bashas’ announces finalists for doughnut flavor contest
- 1 of 11 suspected border crossers found in Arizona dies
- Arizona legislature to seek dismissal of initiative law challenge
- Legislation seeks to extend operation of northern Arizona power plant
- Two Arizona cities named among best places to live to save money, report finds