ATLANTA (AP) — Officials say two drivers including an off-duty Atlanta police officer face charges after allegedly causing a crash that killed one man.
Local news media report the Georgia State Patrol said Wednesday that officer Shawn Jones Jr. and Jade Dibaje are charged with vehicular homicide, speeding, racing and reckless driving. Jones is the son of assistant police chief Shawn Jones.
An incident report states Jones failed to maintain his lane, left the road and hit a curb on Sept. 14. The impact of the crash killed 20-year-old Ramish Attai, who was riding in the front passenger seat.
Investigators say witnesses told authorities that it appeared Jones was racing another car before the crash.
Police say the younger Jones was a member of the Atlanta Police Department’s airport division and had been with the department since Nov. 2011.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Georgia man is accused of harassing a judge in Phoenix
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Bicyclist killed by car in Glendale, suspect is Navajo Nation police officer
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action