WASHINGTON (AP) — The Navy says an aircraft carrier that is intended as a show of force to North Korea will arrive in the region next week.
The USS Carl Vinson has been making its way from Singapore to the Sea of Japan since last week, making stops in Asia along the way.
Top U.S. officials have described the deployment as a message to North Korea as it conducts missile tests and may be planning a nuclear test.
The United States periodically sends aircraft carrier strike groups to waters near the Korean Peninsula to project power. The Carl Vinson took part last month in the U.S.-South Korea war games.
The Carl Vinson is accompanied by a destroyer ship with an Aegis combat system to track and intercept missiles.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Drawing nears for Powerball jackpot that’s climbed to $700M
- Mexican soldiers seize 140 pounds of fentanyl near Arizona border
- Pence says Confederate statues are state, local decision
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny
- Half of Arizonans in poll side against Trump pardoning Arpaio in Phoenix