Share this story...
Latest News

The Latest: School beginning to heal after shooting

In this Tuesday, April 11, 2017 photo, North Park Elementary School principal Yadira Downing, center right facing camera, with glasses on, talks with faculty, staff and parents following the shooting death of a teacher and a student on Monday at the school in San Bernardino, Calif. Classes are scheduled to resume Monday, April 17, with additional personnel and crisis counselors on hand to help students who may need support. The school will also have enhanced security procedures. (AP Photo/Reed Saxon)

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on the aftermath of a shooting at an elementary school in San Bernardino (all times local):

1:30 p.m.

School officials say students and staff members are beginning to heal after a shooting at a San Bernardino elementary school that left a teacher and 8-year-old boy dead.

San Bernardino schools superintendent Dr. Dale Marsden says teachers “put their arms of healing” around their students as the school reopened Monday for the first time since the shooting.

He says the district “will not allow the actions of one individual to interrupt our commitment to our students.”

Marsden says 10 additional teachers were brought to the school Monday. Crisis counselors were also being offered to students and teachers.

On April 10, Cedric Anderson opened fire in his estranged wife’s classroom, killing Karen Smith and 8-year-old Jonathan Martinez.

A 9-year-old boy was also shot, but he was released from the hospital Friday.

___

8:45 a.m.

Students have headed back to classes at a San Bernardino elementary school for the first time since a gunman opened fire last week and killed a teacher and 8-year-old boy.

Students began arriving at North Park Elementary Monday morning one week after the shooting.

Some people dropped off teddy bears. A performer outside the school created bubble art.

Police stood guard as students and staff members filed into the school. They passed by a large banner reading: “We love you.”

The school had been closed since April 10. That’s when a man walked into his estranged wife’s classroom and opened fire.

Gunman Cedric Anderson then took his own life.

His wife, Karen Elaine Smith, and 8-year-old Jonathan Martinez were killed.

A 9-year-old boy who was wounded in the shooting was released from the hospital Friday.

___

6:30 a.m.

An elementary school in San Bernardino that was the scene of a murder-suicide is reopening.

School district officials say classes at North Park Elementary will resume Monday, a week after the killings.

Security will be tightened and counselors will be available for students and staff.

The school has been closed since April 10, when a man walked into his estranged wife’s classroom and opened fire, killing her and an 8-year-old student. He then fatally shot himself.

A 9-year-old student who was wounded went home from a hospital on Friday.

He and the boy who died were standing near their special-education teacher, Karen Elaine Smith.

Police say the shooter, Cedric Anderson, had been unsuccessfully trying to convince Smith to resume their relationship following a breakup just weeks into their marriage.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Related Links