SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A California man suspected of stealing a football autographed by former San Francisco 49er Jerry Rice has turned himself in and returned the football.
The San Francisco Chronicle reported (http://bit.ly/2ptnLT6 ) Sunday that 45-year-old Patrick Van Lam went to a San Jose police station Saturday after seeing viral photos of himself on social media taking the ball at a charity auction.
The ball went missing after it was purchased for $3,500 at the April 9 fundraiser to benefit Chinese orphans with special needs.
The newspaper reported that Van Lam was arrested on suspicion of burglary and grand theft.
Police say a second man helped Van Lam take the ball.
Information from: San Francisco Chronicle, http://www.sfgate.com
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Bicyclist killed by car in Glendale, suspect is Navajo Nation police officer
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood