NEW SMYRNA BEACH, Fla. (AP) — An 8-year-old boy is missing after swimming in rough surf off Florida’s Atlantic Coast.
Volusia County Ocean Rescue Capt. Aaron Jenkins tells local news outlets that the search for Hezekiah Whyte is continuing Monday afternoon. Investigators were interviewing his mother Charlie Bonite Hill on Monday.
Jenkins says the disappearance has been “very traumatic for the family.”
Hezekiah was playing in the surf off New Smyrna Beachon Saturday when the strong currents pulled him out into deeper water. The boy’s 11-year-old sister tried to rescue him, but was pulled under and had to be rescued by lifeguards. She was held overnight at a hospital but is OK.
Officials say rip currents were strong over the holiday weekend and people are being asked to swim in front of the lifeguard towers.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95