AUBURN, Ga. (AP) — Police in northern Georgia say an officer shot and wounded a suspect who opened fire on him.
News outlets report the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is investigating the shooting between Sgt. Jeff Scott and 46-year-old Stephen Frank Nichols on Sunday in Auburn. The shooting left Nichols in serious condition.
Authorities say a woman told Officer Billy Willis that Nichols has run into a wooded area behind her home. Scott searched the area and found Nichols. Police say Nichols provided false identifying information.
GBI Special Agent in Charge Mike Ayers says Nichols drew a gun and fired at the officer. Scott was unharmed and returned fire, striking Nichols multiple times.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Drawing nears for Powerball jackpot that’s climbed to $700M
- Mexican soldiers seize 140 pounds of fentanyl near Arizona border
- Pence says Confederate statues are state, local decision
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny
- Half of Arizonans in poll side against Trump pardoning Arpaio in Phoenix