HONOLULU (AP) — A man who told Honolulu police he killed his mother will be charged with murder once he’s released from a hospital.
Yu Wei Gong was arrested Tuesday after he called 911 and told officers who arrived at his Waikiki apartment that he killed his mother.
He was taken to a hospital for evaluation.
Homicide Lt. Phillip Lavarias says 26-year-old Gong is no longer under arrest while confined in a hospital. Lavarias says police have a warrant to arrest him as soon as he’s discharged.
Police records say he’ll be held on $2 million bail. It’s not clear if he has a lawyer. Relatives couldn’t immediately be reached for comment.
Police found human remains in the apartment. Lavarias says detectives are at the medical examiner’s office Thursday examining the remains.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Drawing nears for Powerball jackpot that’s climbed to $700M
- Mexican soldiers seize 140 pounds of fentanyl near Arizona border
- Pence says Confederate statues are state, local decision
- Twitter reacts to solar eclipse and it’s pretty funny
- Half of Arizonans in poll side against Trump pardoning Arpaio in Phoenix