WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump says last month’s bridge collapse near downtown Atlanta is a “painful reminder” of the importance of strong infrastructure.
Trump welcomed to the White House police, fire and other personnel who responded to the collapse that forced the closure of a portion of Interstate 85. Authorities have said a fire under the bridge caused the collapse. A homeless man has been charged with setting the blaze.
Trump commended the first responders. He says their fast action, skill and courage as they battled 40-foot flames saved lives and represented the true strength of America.
But he says what happened on March 30 was a reminder of the importance of sturdy roads and bridges.
Trump reiterated his commitment to enacting a major federal infrastructure spending program.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Main Street Minute: Free golf for girls clinic set for Phoenix course
- Campus museum honors Colangelo, ‘godfather’ of Phoenix pro sports
- Main Street Minute: State library picks up grant to digitize newspapers
- ATM turns 50, forever changes consumer behavior
- Main Street Minute: Chompie’s Deli to offer holiday bread at Costco