AUBURN, Ala. (AP) — Auburn University says a white nationalist is paying $700 to rent a room where he’s scheduled to speak on campus next week.
A school spokesman says Richard Spencer also must pay for security expenses such as police.
Spencer operates the National Policy Institute and made waves last year by giving a Hitler salute and praising President Donald Trump during a speech. He announced his Auburn appearance in a video statement.
Spencer supports the creation of an ethno-state that would be run for the benefit of white people.
Auburn says it rented the space to Spencer because it supports free speech. He’s scheduled to appear at the student center Tuesday night.
The federal government recently revoked the tax-exempt status of Spencer’s group for its failure to file tax returns.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Trump tweet attacks Flake, calls Arizona senator ‘toxic’
- After preschool promise, Phoenix couple marries 20 years later
- Trump signs bill expanding college assistance for veterans
- Pence won’t address Trump comments but condemns supremacists
- Brewer stands by Trump assessment of Mexican rapists, white power rally