WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — A Kansas woman was accused Wednesday of decapitating her ex-boyfriend’s mother when the victim went to collect her son’s belongings.
Rachael Hilyard, 35 and of Wichita, was charged with one count of first-degree murder in the death Sunday of 63-year-old Micki Davis. During a brief court appearance, a Sedgwick County judge assigned Hilyard to be represented by a public defender. She’s jailed on $200,000 bond.
Police allege that Davis was killed after taking her 9-year-old grandson with her to Hilyard’s home. The boy ran away when the assault started and called police on his grandmother’s phone. Police say the child wasn’t present when his grandmother died.
Police found Davis’ body in the garage and Hilyard hiding in the home.
Court records show Hilyard had Sedgwick County convictions of drug possession in 2012 and 2013 and was discharged from community corrections supervision in May 2015, The Wichita Eagle reports. While under supervision in 2014, she admitted to using methamphetamines, marijuana and opiates, according to a court document.
Hilyard’s preliminary hearing has been scheduled for April 26.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Bicyclist killed by car in Glendale, suspect is Navajo Nation police officer
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood