LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) — Officials say a Kentucky police officer shot and wounded a suspect while investigating a suspicious vehicle at a motel.
Police said in a statement the Lexington officer was patrolling late Tuesday when he noticed the vehicle behind a La Quinta Inn and decided to investigate. The statement said the officer fired at the suspect, who is described as a 26-year-old white man. He was taken to a local hospital for treatment.
The statement says the officer has been with the department three years but did not release his name. He was not injured.
Police say the officer was wearing a body camera and the video will be reviewed as part of the investigation.
Lexington Police Chief Mark Barnard told news outlets officers have been patrolling the area due to complaints about illegal activity.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95
- Maricopa County Sheriff’s deputies shoot armed man west of Phoenix
- Arizona ‘Dreamers’ could join DACA lawsuit against Trump