SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Utah officials say a doctor imprisoned for drugging his beauty queen wife and leaving her to die in a bathtub may have killed himself.
Authorities said in a statement Tuesday that they didn’t find “any signs of foul play” in their preliminary investigation, so they’re investigating Martin MacNeill’s death as a suicide.
The 60-year-old MacNeill was found unresponsive Sunday morning near the greenhouse of the Olympus Facility at the Utah State Prison. Corrections officers tried to revive MacNeill, but he was declared dead at the facility.
MacNeill had been in prison since September 2014 after his conviction for first-degree murder in the death of his wife, Michelle.
No additional information has been given about how the incident happened. Officials say it may take up to 12 weeks to determine the cause of death.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood
- Jake LaMotta, boxer who inspired ‘Raging Bull,’ dies at 95
- Maricopa County Sheriff’s deputies shoot armed man west of Phoenix
- Arizona ‘Dreamers’ could join DACA lawsuit against Trump