CHEVY CHASE, Md. (AP) — A Maryland couple say they found a live scorpion inside a bag of packaged spinach that was purchased from a Giant food store.
Sri Sindhusha Boddapati of Chevy Chase tells news outlets that she was making lunch on Monday when she noticed something crawling inside the bag.
She says she initially thought it was a cricket but realized it was a scorpion after capturing it in a water bottle.
Her husband, Shanmukha Pranay Rajeev Jerripothula, took the bottle to the Landover store where they bought the spinach. He says he asked store officials to stop selling the spinach, but they refused.
In a statement, Giant Food of Landover, Maryland, described what happened as an “isolated incident.” The company says it is taking steps to ensure it doesn’t happen again.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Trump tweet attacks Flake, calls Arizona senator ‘toxic’
- After preschool promise, Phoenix couple marries 20 years later
- Pence won’t address Trump comments but condemns supremacists
- Brewer stands by Trump assessment of Mexican rapists, white power rally
- 5 missing after Army helicopter goes down off Hawaii coast