MORGANTON, N.C. (AP) — Authorities in North Carolina say the mother of a 3-year-old boy found dead on a porch is facing charges in his death.
The Burke County Sheriff’s Office said 23-year-old Jamie Lyn Basinger was indicted by a grand jury on Monday on charges of involuntary manslaughter and felony child abuse. She’s jailed on a $100,000 bond. It’s not known if she has an attorney.
The sheriff’s office said a motorist called 911 on March 15, saying a child appeared to be lying on the porch of a home in Morganton, about 75 miles (120 kilometers) northwest of Charlotte.
Deputies who found Landyn Michael Melton’s body said the home’s front door was open when they arrived. Sheriff Steve Whisenant said Basinger and her boyfriend were asleep in the house when officers arrived.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Bicyclist killed by car in Glendale, suspect is Navajo Nation police officer
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood