DELTONA, Fla. (AP) — A Florida sheriff’s deputy shot and injured a man who authorities say refused to put down his pistol after trying to drown his wife in a swimming pool at their home.
Volusia County Sheriff’s officials tell news outlets the shooting happened early Monday after the couple got into a fight.
A neighbor called deputies after the woman banged on his front door, asking for help. When deputies arrived, the husband stepped outside the front door with a gun.
Sheriff’s officials say the man refused to drop his weapon and fired at least one shot. A deputy fired back. The man was hit in the arm and leg and was taken to a hospital with injuries not considered life-threatening.
The wife also was taken to a hospital.
The deputies were placed on administrative leave.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Tucson shooting memorial picks up $61K from National Park Service
- Trump weighing options as travel ban nears expiration date
- Bicyclist killed by car in Glendale, suspect is Navajo Nation police officer
- Department of Justice faces deadline over Arpaio’s pardon legal action
- Con artists selling water filters target Mesa neighborhood