This week, the Arizona Legislature voted to expand the use of vouchers to permit more parents to send their children to private schools with public funding. Their local public schools will be deprived of relevant state school aid as a result of this choice.
Proponents say the vouchers will help improve education by expanding choice. Others have expressed alarm that the practice is stripping funding from public schools that are already grossly underfunded.
This week’s guests:
- Rob O’Dell, who has written extensively on school vouchers in reports for the Arizona Republic.
- Chris Kotterman, the director of government relations for the Arizona School Boards Association.
In the second half of the show, we check back in with Nick Brown, who was elected to the SRP Board of Directors last year on a pro-solar reform platform. He ran for the board knowing his would be a minority position, but he hoped to win converts to some of his positions among existing board members.
How did that work out? What is the status of solar energy trends in Arizona?
- Phoenix libraries hosting program to learn about solar eclipse
- Express Scripts mail-order pharmacy to limit opioids
- Arizona high court rules domestic violence testimony needs scrutiny
- Brewer stands by Trump assessment of Mexican rapists, white power rally
- Mesa police officer dies in off-duty motorcycle accident